Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Greek Spetzofai - Pronounced "sped-zo-FA-ee," not "sped-ZO-fa-ee"

This video recipe was produced for About.com's Greek foods site. During the voice-over I went to check the site for a phonetic spelling of spetzofai, so I could pronounce it correctly. My mouth really wanted to say "sped-ZO-fa-ee," and I was having trouble forcing it to put the accent on the "FA." I was getting very frustrated, and may have pulled a muscle in my tongue from the repeated attempts.
I emailed Nancy Gaifyllia, About's guide to Greek Cooking, and asked her to help me. She gave me some great instruction, and thanks to her I think I got it pretty close. At least she said so. Thanks Nancy! All accent-related dysfunction aside, this Greek sausage and pepper recipe is so easy to make, and very delicious. What I love about this recipe is that it can be served with so many things. It's great with eggs, perfect with potatoes, nice with rice, over some pasta, or served plain, as is.


There are many ways to balance this dish for your tastes. You can do hot sausage and sweet peppers; mild sausage with hot peppers, and so forth. I used an Italian pork sausage, but a spicy lamb sausage would be equally delicious (pronounced "de-lish-US"). Enjoy!
Click here for the transcript and ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment